Welcome to PacozDiscipline

I have a flair for making people & communities successful. I yearn to excel in that arena!

This is a compilation of my thoughts and responses to others thoughts. Most of them are relevant to the world of learning & development, and may be of help to you. Please add your comments and views.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Is my employment a 'job' or a 'venture'?


My work is a job!

A colleague in the L&D fraternity recently told me that she wasn't happy with the way in which she was treated during the annual appraisal process; I mean her expectations in terms of a raise weren't met, although the raise she got was in line with what the top quartile got. Having said that she has been unhappy, and told me that if I were her supervisor, she would tell me that the 'experience has led me to look at my work as a job rather than a venture'.



...and if I were her supervisor, I would have told her that it would be an interesting experiment!

An interesting experiment because, I believe that the 'orientation' can't change overnight... i.e., whether to take one's work as a 'job' or as a 'venture'. I tried it, but somehow came back to the 'venture' orientation, and I know people whom I could never get to move from the 'job' orientation; that is when I realised that these are not mere orientations, but a 'way of life'.

She has a 'venture' orientation which is her base attitude, if she can change that, she would have proven me wrong... and I really don't mind being proven wrong. At least I, as her supervisor, would know that I have one less name to count on.

Behaviours are a manifestation of the 'attitude' in differing environments. Environments are temporary, and hence behaviours are! Behaviours create perceptions; they are temporary as well. Our effort, as evolved individuals, should be to not let these perceptions stay long and affect us and others around us, as they then start metamorphosing into biases; and biases are difficult to break, and in some cases run across generations as well. The environment today may not be conducive, but that doesn't stop one from being selfish, and continue to hone our 'venture' skills!

Its just a thought...



My failing memory...

She ended the conversation by saying that 'the one who wears the shoe knows where it pinches'. I kept quiet & smiled, for she was hurt and refused to look around at others. Have I had this kind of feeling earlier; well, I guess we all have had, but the question is 'how have we handled them, and have we come out stronger'.

Today, I know I am stronger, but, ironical as it may sound, I don't even remember the details of the 'hurt'.

Is my memory failing me, or was the 'event' insignificant?

No comments: